Thursday, October 24, 2013

What is Happiness?

What is happiness? 

According to Merriam-Webster happiness can be defined...


hap·pi·ness

a state of well-being and contentment

: a pleasurable or satisfying experience



This article from How Stuff Works describes the theories that behaviorists, neurologists and philosophers have used to describe happiness.  But I agree most with the final theory described in this article, " Perhaps the distinction of what constitutes happiness should be left to the individual. After all, anxiety, a contradiction to happiness, might surface when you don't follow your own values -- whatever they may be."

My anxiety has been bubbling up over the past few years and I couldn't quite put my finger on the source. It wasn't until I recommitted to my Christian faith this year that I realized the source of my anxiety. Simply put, I was not living my life the way God intended for me to live it. 

Once I "Let go and Let God," I've experienced a sense of peace. Things in my life are not "perfect", but I finally comprehended that God's plan doesn't always make sense at the time, but it will play out the way he intended. 

One of my favorite contemporary Christian songs right now is Casting Crowns "Already There"-  because of these lyrics

One day I'll stand before You
And look back on the life I've lived
I can't wait to enjoy the view
And see how all the pieces fit


I can't wait to see how my pieces fit, but until then, I choose to be happy with what I have, who I have around me and where I'm going. 

Follow me on my upcoming journey as I embark on The Daniel Fast starting on Friday, November 1st and blog about my experiences along the way! 








No comments:

Post a Comment